What skills do you think we should be teaching pupils today?

In yesterdays #AGICHAT question we asked ‘What subjects do you think will become obsolete and why?’

In today’s question, we ask ‘What subjects do you think we should be teaching the students of today?’

The world has evolved significantly over the past century through the introduction of computers and other modern technology. Courses taught in schools and colleges have had to keep up with the pace of the advances.

Looking forward to a world of tomorrow where the rise of artificial intelligence and other emerging technologies will likely mean many of the core subjects we now teach in schools and colleges will also become obsolete.

Therefore today on #AGICHAT we ask ‘What subjects do you think we should be teaching the students today?’

#futurism #artificialintelligence #debate #singularitynet #futureofeducation

2 Likes

This is a really great question.

2 Likes

I think we should be teaching pupils how to engage with their world more frequently, in a meaningful and reflective way. I think this can be achieved through a combination of aesthetic experience - or pursuits - and philosophy.

Art practices do not require verbal communication but instead rely on abstract expressions and bodily intuition. In art practices, personal insight is fostered through direct bodily engagement and questions may enter a space that is less confrontational. The artwork generates, through this space, a moment for different perspectives on a subject, to merge into a singular social experience (or engagement). Within this space, we are offered a moment to suspend our disbelief and imagine complex ideas under different rules/laws, with a comfortable distance from our personal convictions.

Through this experience, it then becomes more evident, that we ought to continually self-reflect on our beliefs and ask ourselves the “why?”. “Why do I see things the way I do?” “What made me react this way?”. In this context philosophy aids the development of critical analysis skills, methods of argumentation, and modes of communicating our experience, to better convey the positions that were explored within the open space of the aesthetic experience.

I would be interested to hear what others think. Are there some more concrete methods that one could apply in a classroom environment, other than self-reflection and explorative learning, that might lead to more direct measurable outcomes?

2 Likes

This is what I believe is and will be important.

1. How to learn, unlearn and relearn. They will need this skill during their whole life as things will be changing dramatically.
  2. We teach children to give answers when asked. We should teach them to ASK good questions instead and never stop asking questions.
  3. Cooperation and team work, communication, care for others and other skills that make us human.
  4. Belief in self.
  5. Responsibility for own actions and inactions.
1 Like

To meditate.

A really thoughtful post, thank you :slight_smile:

think we should be teaching pupils how to engage with their world more frequently, in a meaningful and reflective way. I think this can be achieved through a combination of aesthetic experience - or pursuits - and philosophy.

I agree we need to focus on teaching how to critially and latrally think. How to solve wider problems and to learn how to learn more effectively.

I know that today it may appear that we are so involved in our technology that we are not paying enough attention to the real world, but as technology advances, it will also shrink to form factors where it is no longer intrusive and will free us to be more present.

Technologies such as Augmented reality, AI and smart devices, nanotech, 5G and quantum cryptography, will all lead us to a point where we no longer need devices as such.

Learning how to learn is a huge thing for me, it is something that we do not focus on, how to absorb information and internalise it taking the bits you need.

I think AI in education with assistive technologies and eLearning adaptive learning will help identify what areas a student needs to focus on, but ultimately imho the ability to absorb information often means having to step back from one’s own ego and this may be a harder problem to solve than the technology. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I agree, especially with your addition of lateral thinking. Our interdisciplinary thought is key to understanding ourselves and our world better. You’re right, I think once we can implement technology in a more intuitive way it can enhance modes of our bodily perception. And, who knows what we might discover then…

1 Like

I really love #2. We definitely need to teach them how to ask good questions.

2 Likes

Pupils today our kids need to focus learning the basic human value with high moral to control AI as tools for progression of humanity to solve the vulnerability of óur ego. because there are not bad AI there are only bad human . Data is new oil one of the most attractive filed , Information with emotions = long term memory our pupils could learn with VR and AR long term investment in their knowledge with shape culture everything is possible especially with high intention to reduce real pain that we suffer from it today,Human will be always the Leader .every technology is only a tools .

1 Like