My best guess where to ask about ID3,

Is there any good tutorials for learning ID3 in python? I’m trying to get back up to speed in python from where I’m at in Ruby, and certain tutorials … are making that unnecessarily difficult.

Specifically I’m looking for one that mentions everything, it doesn’t forget to include additional pips you need to install just to be able to install additional things like pip and pop.

But doesn’t go into an unnecessary level of math: only the minimum level necessary to do the job. It seems like a lot of tutorials like to wow you with their graduate education by showing you long equations nobody understands.

Edit: As an update, I found something: tutorials/decision_tree.ipynb at master · random-forests/tutorials · GitHub It’s a little better.

But a lot tutorials I find, I sometimes wonder if they really understand the math equations they’re promoting.

I went from C and shell to Perl way back and some python. Ruby is what I’ve been doing lately. Learning it contributing to a really cool Wiki based content platform that was used to build http://wikirate.org/

Ruby is really the best of that group. I don’t really like the python structure by format syntax, but that’s not so important. I’ve also been looking at Haskell and related functional languages.

I’m wishing I could prove some chops in “data science” and AI, but really I should be concentrating on the design and architecture level.

I’ll start believing on AGI vision when I can hire them on Singularity to do all the low level programming and translation. Program in any language and let the AI figure out what to do.

Old hacker joke: the DWIM instruction, “Do What I Mean”

Can I have one of those in my LLVM spec?

1 Like

Yea I love ruby and developed a couple of AI ideas for it, though encountering a weird bug ever sense I switched to Mate edition of Mint 18.1

Basically it’s caused by me reading a file, processing that file as a string, and using that in a regular puts or print:

name = File.read("config_name.txt")

puts "Hello, I'm #{name}. What is your name?"

For whatever reason, in this OS I’ve been having newlines after #{name}.

Which means a lot of my efforts to reduce the programming overhead, by simply modifying the data, rather than the program itself, is basically out of commission until I can resolve that issue.

Only reason I’m learning Python really, is I’m wanting to build an InMoov eventually. Even if I end up diverging from InMoov a little bit. (Mainly I want my robot to have an actual human-like skin.)

Is the newline on the end of the “name” variable? What may have happened is an editor program helpfully added a newline that was “missing” for the last line of the file. I think it is “chomp” that will remove it if it is there (may take an arg of the char to look for/remove).

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll see if that fixes it. It was started with the idea of filling out a file for attribute, data points, and input_value (the name of the value asked for in the prompt).

This seems to be the issue:

BIANCA
: What's your name? >> Sarah
BIANCA
: Nice to meet you Sarah

But it doesn’t seem to happen in Python, although I’m not reading the chatbot name from a file in python. In this case the semi-colon is suppose to be on the same line.

But if I say, assign a string (rather than a read file) to name, I end up with:

BIANCA: What's your name? >> Sarah
BIANCA: Nice to meet you Sarah

Going to see if updating the ruby version fixes the issue. I know I updated my system to 2.5.0 before I had wrote the program previously. It could just be 2.3.0 can’t do certain things.

Edit: That fixed it, I just needed to put in .strip after the read file. And I got an updated ruby version in the deal.